Poetry and musings of a zany Mormon girl who is very proud of her Erda roots.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Jukebox


Colbie Caillat - Begin Again

So, I have this little jukebox in my brain that plays a continual mix of music. There is no limit to the music -- if I have heard it even once before, bits of a song will inevitably end up on my in-head play list. Tons of songs loop through my grey matter throughout my waking hours. Actually, probably my dreaming hours too; I do wake up with songs stuck in my head quite often. I once tried to keep a list of the songs that ran around between my ears, but I gave up when I hit more than twenty just walking across campus one afternoon.




 The problem is: I don't always know how I know the song my brain has selected. Occasionally two words or a snippet of melody will play over and over again on repeat until I remember enough of the song to find it on the internet and play in full. It will haunt me for days if I can't listen to the whole thing.

Today I was running errands with my mom. Colbie Caillat's song, Begin Again, was playing over an in-store system and it got stuck in my head. Just the part that goes as follows:

Oh this is not the way that it should end
It's the way it should begin
It's the way it should begin, again

No - I never wanna fall apart
Never wanna break your heart
Never wanna let you break my own


The chord progressions and general melody move so smoothly from one part to another, it's like being on a well greased roller coaster of music. I have a terrible memory didn't remember the rest of the song so I had to come home and listen to the whole thing about fifty billion times on replay to feed that little jukebox in my brain. Luckily, this was an easy assignment from my brain.

That reminds me of another good song...

And another.

No comments:

Post a Comment