Poetry and musings of a zany Mormon girl who is very proud of her Erda roots.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Winter Solstice



We've just passed the Winter Solstice. This means that from here on out, the sun will begin to hang a little lower in the sky and linger a little longer. We won't feel the change for a few more months, but it's here.

Wow, there are so many analogies to life in that last statement, I don't know where to start!

Have you ever had a thought, read something, done something, or just woken up with an epiphany? All of the sudden, the world is a new place and everything looks, feels, and computes in a slightly different way?
I have.

Several times.

Little things that don't amount to much on their own, but put together make a huge change.

The Earth is moving just a tiny amount each day. Every day for the next four months will much like the last until one day it will be Spring and we will be in a different world -- in weather and as human beings.

And no one will really be able to pin point exactly when the change took place. Not really.  

There is no telling what enormous things may happen in the next four months. There is no telling who I will be, or you, or that guy over there. We're all changing just a little bit every day. In four months we could all be very different from who we are today.

I find that somehow reassuring. Although I know that I can't change the things I dislike about myself over night, I know that with time I can become anything. The great thing is: I don't even have to make a plan for who I will become, it just happens. Of course, there are things I can, and must, do to influence my changes. But no matter what, there is no such thing as freezing time and remaining stuck in one attitude.

I'll tell you what: I'm certainly not the person I was four months ago at the beginning of the Fall.

I am much stronger. Much more loving. Much more understanding. Much more muchier.

I like this new me a lot better than I liked the me from four months ago, which I liked pretty ok. I'm excited to meet the me I will be in four months and know the people she will know. She will know some pretty amazing people. I can just feel it.

I'm curious: in what ways do you intend to/anticipate changing over the next four months?

No comments:

Post a Comment