Poetry and musings of a zany Mormon girl who is very proud of her Erda roots.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Babies!

Babies are awesome!

No, really. They make me go, "Awwwww!"

Hee hee!

Two of my best friends recently gave birth within a week of eachother. A little boy and a little girl. Both just as adorable as can be -- but what do you expect when both sets of parents are remarkably attractive people? Mark my words: those babies are going to grow up to be gorgeous adults. (And now, since this is the internet and therefore very easily catalogued, we are going to let this comment marinate for about 20 years and pull it up again at the appropriate time only to discover how true I am. Yay!)

I got to hold both of them this weekend! There is nothing quite as sweet as a very tiny baby falling asleep in your arms. I love being used as baby furniture: recliner, seat, swing, and bouncy chair. My body is the correct shape to accomodate babies in my arms, on my shoulders, and in my lap. They simply fit.

Ever since I was small, babies have adored me. It's true. In the grocery store I smile at infants and toddlers alike and they always smile back. It gets a little weird when the parents notice their kid staring at me and I have to try and look the other way really fast for fear that said parents will think I am a kidnapper or creep. I am not a creep. Or a kidnapper. I just love children and they love me back.

Early this year I was asked to be Nursery teacher at church. I worked with two other ladies to take care of all of the 18 months -- 3 year olds. It was a lot of fun and I love, love, loved working there every week. Unfortunately, I had to leave all summer so my position was filled by someone else. I recently substituted for one of the teachers and was surprised that most of the kids still remembered me.

One little girl came up to me, sat right down in my lap and said, "I like you!"

It was all I could do to keep my heart in place as it melted out of my chest!

"I like you, too!!" I replied, with the biggest smile on my face.

When it comes to small children I have a huge reserve of patience that has yet to be tapped. I'm sure that one day it will be spent, but for now, I choose to keep storing my odds and ends for them. How sweet are the little ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment