Poetry and musings of a zany Mormon girl who is very proud of her Erda roots.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sally Girl


In 1993, when I was six years old, The Nightmare Before Christmas came out.


That year Halloween fell on a Sunday.


My parents didn't want us going trick-or-treating on Sunday night so they took us around town to the different grocery stores and other establishments hosting Halloween events where we collected a good amount of candy and Hardee's coupons. Mmmmm, Hardee's. After feasting on free curly fries and feeling like champs we were treated to a movie at the big theatre!


I fell in love with Tim Burton that night. My sister fell in love with Danny Elfman.


The animation, cinematography, and overall theme of the film resonated with me. Perhaps it's because I'm slightly mad and very weird myself. Maybe it was the Halloween fever. Or the idea of merging two amazing holidays and ensuing creepiness. And perhaps I knew at six years old that I am a Sally girl myself: A bit broken, but capable and constant.


Once I make up my mind to do something I put my whole self into it and never give up; even as I tear myself up. It's an annoying habit.


Since then, I have fallen for Edward Scissorhands, Big Fish, Mars Attacks, Frankenweenie, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Beetlejuice, James and the Giant Peach, Corpse Bride, Alice in Wonderland, and of course -- Vincent Malloy!


When Lorri brought home a collection of Tim Burton's poetry, I fell for that too.


As a Junior in high school I memorized Voodoo Girl to recite in the presentation of my Unrequited Love Poem Anthology.


Sometimes I doodle Tim Burton style. I can make a decently creepy doodle.


It simply appeals to me.


Of course, there's also the the other side -- the part of me that bakes a great berry pie, sews, crafts, and likes lace and roses.


I really am a rag doll patched from bits and pieces to make an odd whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment