Poetry and musings of a zany Mormon girl who is very proud of her Erda roots.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight...

I wish I may, I wish I might
Have this wish I wish tonight

I'll even let you pick which one.

I wish that I could make myself grow or shrink on demand.
I wish that I had the power to feed the world.
I wish that grasshoppers turned into those rubber poppers and then back into grasshoppers each time they hopped. That way, you would be able to see a brightly colored hemisphere coming right at you before the grasshopper landed and made you scream.
I wish that we had neighborhoods at the bottom of the ocean and had to take a submarine to get home. Or on the moon and had to take a rocket to get home. That would be cool too.
I wish that I could spend a night in a giant kangaroo's pouch and listen to it's heartbeat in the fuzzy darkness. It could be like a traveling hotel.
I wish that I could understand what people really mean when they speak.
I wish that I could see into people's bodies to figure out what makes them unhealthy at the molecular level and be able to fix it by ordering the molecules to sort themselves out. I think that's sort of how Jesus healed people. Knowledge is power.
I wish I could see into the future just one year so I can know how best to prepare.
I wish that I had more confidence in social situations. I always seem to fall back on my wallflower tendencies with zero ability to make small talk.
I wish I could hear back from a job.
I wish that I had no regrets.
I wish that I could take back all of those wishes I wished as a child. They were always exactly the same. I wish I hadn't wasted them on something I knew wouldn't happen.
I wish that I could meet my children before they are born. I just want to see their faces.
I wish that I could understand.
I wish that life could be a musical for 24 hours. Of course, it would feel like only 120 minutes because musicals are not very long and a ton happens in each five minute song, but still.
I wish that I had the disposable time and resources to accomplish all of my dreams. They are many and varied.
I wish that Erda had a fifth ward. And that I would get to name it. I'd pick something much better than the fourth ward's name.
I wish that I could go to the state fair and ride the ferris wheel and see the whole town lit up.
I wish that I could whistle. I really stink at whistling.
I wish that I could fly.
I wish that I could dictate my dreams. Wow, that would be amazing.
I wish that I understood chemistry.
I wish that I could rewind time and start college at the level of social and personal development that I am right now. Wow, I'd be unstoppable.
I wish that I could intern with Indiana Jones. I'm not afraid of snakes.
I wish that I could spend a year studying fairy tales and have the resources to find the literal stories behind each one. That would, of course, involve time travel.
I wish that I could read each book in the world at least once. Actually, some are best left untouched. I wish that I could read every good book int he world at least once.
I wish that I could be faithful enough to see a vision and understand it's meaning.
I wish that there were a pill for knowledge. No more studying!
I wish that I could open a door into a fantasy land I'd created for myself as an occasional escape.
I wish that I could provide meaningful service every day to someone who really, really needed it.
I wish that brownies really did make your troubles go away. I'd make so many brownies! I'd share them with homeless people and single moms.
I wish that I could find a wrecktastic cake to submit to Cake Wrecks and then get mentioned on the website.
I wish that I had some reason to write a best selling book.
I wish that I could trust people better.
I wish that I could accomplish at least one meaningful wish every day.
I wish that I could make someone else happy each day.
I wish that mermaids were real.
I wish that I could go to Italy. I've always wanted to learn Italian and eat real pasta after attending the opera.
I wish that I could write a hit song.
I wish that I could banish feelings of being taken for granted. I really struggle with that one.
I wish that I could find time to speak my mind, my real mind, and be heard. I wish I knew what I would say in such an instance.
I wish that countries didn't have borders and travel were free from one place to another according to where you most fit in and would love to be. I wish that people didn't kill each other for power. I wish that I could comprehend the human condition. I wish that I could help bring peace to this broken world.
I wish that I could meet an alien.
I wish that I knew my real name. I've never felt like my name is really mine. My true name is in a language I've never heard before. Sometimes it takes me a second to remember what my name is so that I can tell someone if they ask. I know it's weird, but that's how it's always been.
I wish that I could submit a photo to the state fair and win something.
I wish I could just win something. I never do.
I wish that all children could go to school.
I wish that people never have to eat from the garbage of others. Ever again.
I wish that my heart had the capability to love everyone in the world. What a magnificent thing that would be.
I wish that I could still my mind and hold my heart in my hands to give it away.
I wish I could accept the advice of those who love me.
I wish I could accept the advice I have given to those I love.
I wish that wishes really were fishes. Then I would never have to worry about what to make for dinner.
I wish I knew how to fix myself.
I wish I could just make up my mind already.
I wish that I never had reason to break my own heart.
I wish that children would be more kind to one another.
I wish that I knew how to waltz and ballroom dance.
I wish I could sing.
I wish I could play the violin. As opposed to simply pretending to know how to play.
I wish that I could figure all of this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment